The Gary Comer Youth Center located in Chicago’s South Side , GCYC provides a safe, educational haven for inner-city youth and runs extracurricular programs to help young adults graduate high school and prepare for college and future careers.
Click picture to watch slideshow;
But out of all of the colorful colors of the center, the most dominant one is green. In 2010, ASLA awarded the Gary Comer Youth Center Green Roof with a Design Honor Award for the center’s green roof design and planting palette, calling it a ‘Rooftop Haven for Urban Agriculture‘.
“This vegetable green roof garden designed as an outdoor classroom adds an unusual dimension to traditional green roof design. A full-time gardener utilizes a planting system custom-designed by Hoerr Schaudt to teach inner-city youth methods in gardening. The garden maximizes two heat sources, ambient heat from the building and solar energy, which allows for gardening nearly all year. Soil depths of nearly a foot allow for a wide variety of plant material.” — Hoerr Schaudt Project Description./source
- Sika Sarnafil Green Roof Wins Excellence Award (prweb.com)
- Grow your shed (guardian.co.uk)
- A Dedicated Green Roof Research Center Opens in Israel (greenprophet.com)
- Four Roof-gardens and Forty Birch-trees ; The Muse in London. (urbanfloranl.wordpress.com)
- Catholic University Adds Third Green Roof on Campus (prweb.com)
- Green Roofs May Boost Efficiency Of Solar Panels (earthtechling.com)